Thursday 8 March 2007

What happens when your girlfriend conspires with your little sister




You get an AWESOME Christmas present! Last Christmas Jessie and Sam treat me to an Oregon scientific standalone head cam. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a head cam for some time now however I was worried about technically wiring myself into my boat… accidents do happen and when that accident happens I don’t want to be attached to a deadweight of kayak floating over some nasty drop.

The Oregon ATC2000 to me sounded like the perfect solution. It’s a wireless camera and its entire media is recorded directly onto a SD card (expandable up two gig). On top quality this allows you to record over an hours worth of footage (great for those play sessions!). Oregon Scientific have also outdone themselves on the attachment system easy to install and use it allows you to take the camera on and off easily (much easier than other wired systems I’ve used in the past).

I’ve already started to put the camera into use filming for my video (which I’m hoping to have another trailer for soon) and have been really impressed with the results. I use a standard miniDV camera for most of my filming but the head cam has come in really handy for switching between kayaker POV and bank footage… it just adds a really nice extra element to a video and I have been really pleased with the results. The camera records in full colour digital video in 640 X 480 VGA at 30 frames per second and the quality is very high! I really was expecting a web cam style of footage… rather grainy and useless in video but not at all! I would happily recommend this camera to anyone wishing to get into filming their kayaking adventures! The ATC2k is a great step forward and I cant wait to see what the guys and gals at Oregon scientific will come up with next.I’ve attached some photos of me using this camera with my helmet..

I’ve attached it to the side of my lid as I don’t like the idea of knocking it off if I hit my head when I roll, the ear holes on the Gedi also make for the perfect attachment points. The camera is also light enough to not feel like my head is overweighed on one side. The stability of the Gedi on my head also makes for very good quality footage… as with all head cams a stable well fitting helmet is the key to shake free filming.The Blurb from the website

Play hard, record everything - even underwater with ATC2K, the ultimate waterproof self-contained action cam! Weighing in at half a pound (with batteries), this hands-free action cam delivers full colour digital video in 640 X 480 VGA at 30 frames per second.ATC2K works seamlessly with most video editing software. Expandable up to 2GB, ATC2K mounts easily and all mounting hardware is included. Wipeouts in a white out or an unexpected barrel roll? No worries, ATC2K is waterproof up to 10 feet! Although the manual and packaging states the product is only water-resistant, subsequent tests have since certified the product as waterproof. Please do not be alarmed by this discrepancy when receiving your product. Thank you.
Thanks Oregon Scientific! And thanks Jessie and Sam! Awesome present!